Victoria / New South Wales / Queensland
Vic / NSW / QLD

Need a skilled labour or qualified tradesman?

Complete the form and we will be in touch as soon as possible or give us a call at
1300 700 003

Hire Form
Labour Hire Advice

Getting a High Risk Work License

By fastlabourhire • Jul 15th 2022
Getting a High Risk Work License

Have you ever wondered about how to get a high risk work license? In many cases, it can seem a little unclear how to obtain a national license to perform high risk work.

However, with these jobs often paying a much more generous rate to account for the dangers of the task, it’s certainly appealing for many people.

Fortunately, obtaining a high risk work license is a straightforward process. So, we’ve outlined some of the key things you need to know in this regard as follows.

What is a High Risk Work License?

Before we go further, we should naturally first outline a high risk work license. Many people getting into construction industry jobs for the first time don’t necessarily even realise this is a requirement.

However, before undertaking any work classified as high risk, you will need to obtain a national license to perform high risk work.

In short: high risk work licenses are provided to enable a worker to perform riskier work. Of course, any task on a construction project will invariably come with unique challenges.

However, for the purposes of a high risk work license, the relevant tasks include (as explained by Safeopedia):

  • The operation of pressure equipment, crane machinery, and forklifts
  • Scaffolding, dogging, and rigging work

Categories of National License Types to Perform High Risk Work

A high risk work license isn’t a single license type but actually comes in a wide array of types. This is since every type of high risk work is a little different and requires unique skills, competencies, and knowledge.

Therefore, you’ll need to apply for the most appropriate type of license for your chosen task. Some of the different license types you may want to consider include:

image about two workers scaffolding

Scaffolding Licenses

One of the most common high risk licenses you might need is the scaffolding license. There are three types of scaffolding licenses: basic, intermediate, and advanced. A basic scaffolding license covers most operations on the construction site.

For example, this might include building pre-fab scaffolding systems. However, you may require an intermediate or advanced license to complete more complex tasks. These include using coupler scaffolding or operating cantilevers.

You can find out more about the different scaffolding licenses from the NSW Government website.

Crane Operation Licenses

In order to operate a crane, you will need to hold a crane license. Several types of cranes include (to name a few) tower cranes, portal boom cranes, and derrick cranes. Make sure you’ve obtained a license before operating any crane machinery. Remember, these pieces of equipment have a very high risk of injury!

Reach Stacking Licenses

image about a reach stacker

Implemented in July 2016, all reach stacker operators must hold a non slewing mobile crane license to operate a reach stacker. This is often referred to as CN and is sometimes considered a form of crane operating license.

Hoist Licenses

You will need a hoist license to work on a boom type elevating work platform, a materials hoist, or personnel and material hoists. Unsurprisingly, the risk of injury in these situations is much higher, so this is very important to consider. However, the exact license you will need may depend on the elevation height and the boom length.

Pressure Equipment Operation Licenses

High pressured equipment can (naturally) be dangerous to use. With this in mind, there are several different types of pressure equipment operation licenses. These include turbine operation, standard boiler operation, and advanced boiler operation.

Forklift High Risk License

Another common type of license you might require for your work is a forklift high risk license. Many people don’t realise how risky operating a forklift can be. However, for any forklift machinery, a license is necessary. The only exception here is a telehandler that also uses forks. Nevertheless, all employers should still provide suitable training to their teams for this.

To find out more, check out our article about forklift safety.

Dogging Licenses

To complete dogging work for moving heavy loads, you will need to obtain a dogging license from the NSW Government. This work often includes directing crane operators for safe handling.

How to Apply for a High Risk Work License?

In order to apply for a high risk license, you’ll need to meet several criteria. The exact criteria for each high risk license will vary. Still, you will need to meet four main criteria. You will also need to prove your identity. These are:

  1. Be over 18 years of age
  2. Have completed an appropriate training course
  3. Must hold a competency report, provided by a SafeWork-accredited assessor
  4. Have a suitable English level for safe communication in potentially high-risk environments

Applying for High Risk License Renewal

Generally speaking, your license will last for five years from the time of approval. From this point, you will need to renew your license. You can apply for high risk license renewal directly online. We recommend doing so several months in advance of your license expiring so you don’t miss out on job opportunities.

Final Thoughts

Undoubtedly, working in a high risk position – though challenging – can offer a lot of potential for employees. However, you’ll need to obtain a license in this regard – which is where our experts can help.

Hopefully, today’s guide will have given you a little more insight into obtaining a high risk work license. However, if you want to learn more about the opportunities available, contact our experts here at Fast Labour Hire.

Submit a Comment

Google Rating
Based on 289 reviews